Simple website

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 29 03:14:09 UTC 2008

On 2008-04-28 09:07:04 PM, Juan Camilo Prada wrote:
> It was a discussion about the same issues we were discussing here. I
> wrote a script to parse some rss news from different sites, and played a
> bit with máirín's designs to create what you can see in this link ->
> http://juankprada.livejournal.com/4805.html (now that i look back to
> that post i see you were one of the people who liked what i did, Mike).
> If you really want the comments on the list i could only find this link
> (i didnt really search)
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-websites-list/2008-February/msg00034.html
>
> I talked to ricky about that idea and we both agreed that it would be
> good to make the changes but it would be better to wait till some
> changes on the infrastructure (im still not sure i understood what he
> said) so i keep waiting (thats why im in a rush for stop talking and
> start working).
>
> So this all goes to the starting point in which i said we lack of
> leadership. If somebody has an idea that could make a change then who
> decide if it is ok or not?... we are not even voting for such things and
> so we comment about those ideas here on the ml and some people dislike
> the idea and then thats all for it. Even if lots of people support your
> idea, when two or three dislike it then nothing is done.
I should really apologize for the way that I handled your contributions.
Around this time, I was concentrating on FAS2 a lot, and I pretty much
put everything else aside, which definitely wasn't the right thing to
do.

Going back to the technical difficulties that I was talking about - most
of this has been related to translations for our website.  One thing
that I'd like to discuss at a meeting is how we can coordinate with l10n
to get regular website updates translated.  Right now, every time I
change a string, I have to worry about translations not being updated
(and the problem of things like half-translated pages).  I am still
worried about having the website grow too much while it has this
limitation.

So here are some vague thoughts torwards a solution:

 * Have some sort of release cycle associated with websites (that we
   would coordinate with l10n about)
 * Website change email notifications to specific groups within l10n?

Any other ideas about how we can handle this?  (I should start a
discussion of this on fedora-trans-list soon.)

Thanks,
Ricky