Simple website

Juan Camilo Prada juankprada at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 03:21:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 22:03 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> I'm not against new ideas.  I'm against complication... I have a very long
> memory and I remember what the wiki used to look like when it was our
> landing page.  I couldn't find anything.  Now though, I can find stuff
> pretty easily.  Even more then that we're getting to a point where there
> are canonical pages.  IE: when you want fedora... go to
> fedoraproject.org/get-fedora.
>
> Don't think of me as "against progress".  Think of me as a
> check and balance, and one that can be completely ignored.  Feel free to
> reference this email:
>
> I, Mike McGrath, know almost nothing about UI design except that it should
> be left to UI designers, not engineers like myself.

I totally agree with you.. engineers like you and me pretty much suck at
UI design, but we are not alone here, there is people in the art team
who is really good at it (remember my idea... i didnt created the
layout.. just got the mockup from máirín's ideas and worked over it).

> But I remember what the first thing people used to see when they came to
> the website:
>
> #wget -U 'gimme' -qO- 'http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraMain?action=recall&rev=195'  | grep -c -i href
> 62
>
> 62 links.  Maybe thats good, maybe thats what we want. I don't think it
> looks good, but that really doesn't matter at the end of the day.
> Ultimately what I want is to be able to go to a websites team and say
> "hey, we need this"  just like I do the art team, marketing team,
> translators, docs team, etc.

The problem in a website is not how many links are there, as at the end
a website without links is useless, but how they are shown, and im
pretty sure no one here wants a messy website for the project. So i
think you should trust us a bit more.

I think i wont say more, as i've said all i had to say, just hope people
here decides what to do, but do it quick as we are getting behind in
this field compared to other projects