Improving the get-fedora page

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sat Jan 26 01:39:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 09:45 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:

> Perhaps we need two pages.  We'll drop people to the initial page
> they'd
> typically see (i386, ppc, whatever) basically what it is now.  Then we
> make a nice ? icon or help icon and stick it all over that page, when
> people click on it they go to more of a "download wizard".
>
> This gives us two benefits.  1) we keep a simple page for people and
> 2) we
> get to see how many people end up using the wizard.  If we find that
> the
> click through is only 1% that at least tells us something, on the
> other
> hand if we find out its 50% we know we need to account for these
> people
> all over our site, not just download.

We can ask our UI experts how best to do the ? mark, but overall +1 to
this approach.  Yet ...

There are three good ways from here:

* Leave page as-is, then ? => link to wizard
* Make page a wizard, with a link off to "I know what I want"
* Two-boxes in the middle:  "Help me figure out what I need" ... "I know
what I want" that link out to appropriate pages

"User Interaction Expert, where are you?!?"

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org