Comments from slashdot

Craig Thomas bicycle.nutz at gmail.com
Sun May 18 19:22:19 UTC 2008

2008/5/18 Ricky Zhou <ricky at fedoraproject.org>:
> On 2008-05-18 12:23:06 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> The get-fedora comment is definitely valid, though (and it's good to see
> some progress being made in this area).  I took another look at
> opensuse's download page (http://software.opensuse.org/), and I'm
> starting to like it more and more.  I don't think the 4 steps look very
> indimidating to users at all, and I like that they don't bother too much
> with fancy animations (as a side-affect of this, there's already a
> reasonable default download link at the bottom, so you only need one
> click to download the i386 install DVD).
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Yes, I agree. I like the simplicity of their page, nothing appearing
or disappearing. I think that if we (and it sounds like we are going
to start) push one .iso, we can really reduce confusion on get-fedora.
 Furthermore, if we follow through with the plan of download said iso
with one click, we will see no more of these silly 'reasons' fedora is
not as good as the other guys. Because in fact we do offer _more_
install options than I think any one else? ...at least more than most.
 We need to show off our 'geekier' / more advanced options too.  I
don't think we should just cater to new, relatively clueless users,
IMO.  (remember out recent bug for not showing off the
netinstall.iso...heh, explain that one to a newb in 1000 words or
less)

The few reviews I have read all complain about the get-fedora page, for sure.

my $0.02

--

Craig