Wrong type of checksum listed in the checksum file

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Nov 17 22:05:59 UTC 2009

aquaglow at gmail.com wrote:
> In the file Fedora-12-i686-Live-CHECKSUM (linked on
> https://fedoraproject.org/en/verify), it lists the Hash as being SHA1.
> Yet carrying out a "shasum -a 1" on the .iso gave me a checksum which
> looked too short. When I performed the checksum using SHA256 instead,
> it gave the correct value.
>
> Possibly the same mistake is in the other checksum files.

This is not a mistake.  The 'Hash: SHA1' line is part of the GPG
signature.  It has nothing to do with the type of checksum used in the
*-CHECKSUM files.  Many people mistakenly assume that it does,
unfortunately.  Perhaps we need to make that clear on the /verify page
so folks don't make the flawed assumption that these things are
related?

If you follow the documentation on https://fedoraproject.org/en/verify
all is well, as the page explicitly states that the sha256sum command
is what should be used.

I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to
complain.
    -- Lily Tomlin