[Fedora-xen] Problem installing full virtualized Vista guest

Jimison, Ed ed.jimison at intel.com
Thu Dec 7 18:25:06 UTC 2006

Now that I finally got W2K installed as a guest, I'm moving on to Vista.
The initial setup and config worked and the Vista install booted from
CDROM and transferred files to the harddrive. After reboot there is just
a blank black screen, which is very similar to the W2K install. With W2K
I worked around it by hitting F5 and selecting Standard PC. With Vista
there is no such option.

I transferred the ISO to disk and added it to my config file. When I
create the guest and it tries to boot I get this error:

Boot from Hard Disk 0 failed

FATAL: not a bootable disk

My config file:

# Automatically generated xen config file

name = "vistavirt1"

builder = "hvm"

memory = "500"

disk = [ 'file:/xen/vistavirt1,hda,w',
'file:/home/evjimiso/vista.iso,hdc:c,r']

vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3e:3f:17:66, bridge=xenbr0', ]

uuid = "2dc04ca6-4de7-0b22-8cc4-4bdb0ff273d9"

device_model = "/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm"

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"

vnc=1

vncunused=1

apic=1