[Fedora-xen] Problem installing full virtualized Vista guest

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Dec 14 00:11:10 UTC 2006

Jimison, Ed wrote:

> Now that I finally got W2K installed as a guest, I’m moving on to
> Vista. The initial setup and config worked and the Vista install
> booted from CDROM and transferred files to the harddrive. After reboot
> there is just a blank black screen, which is very similar to the W2K
> install. With W2K I worked around it by hitting F5 and selecting
> Standard PC. With Vista there is no such option.
>
> I transferred the ISO to disk and added it to my config file. When I
> create the guest and it tries to boot I get this error:
>
> Boot from Hard Disk 0 failed
>
> FATAL: not a bootable disk

You might try running xm with boot from CD.
xm create vistavirt1 boot=d

I've been trying to install Win98SE, and the startup claims it can't
find a driver for the CD. My file looks just about like your, I get
asked to boot from disk or CD, then after a few screens it says it can't
find a CD driver. I'm about to switch to vmware, even if I have to run
Windows. Also tried:
phy:/dev/dvd,hdc:c,r
with no more luck.

The install used to run slowly under qemu, and the operative word there
is "run," I spent a bunch on a big new hvm capable server, and I can't
install the things I need to test.