[Fedora-xen] Problem installing full virtualized Vista guest

Ian Patton ian.patton at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 20:22:27 UTC 2006

Bill,

Good luck getting Vista to install.  You may want to look at my threads for
Nov & Dec for a good working file and stuff, but even after I got it
installed I had problems with networking and sound not working...  also
kernel problems with the latest FC6 kernel xen

I posted my findings here: http://virtualdreamscapes.blogspot.com/

Also, after a few domU reboots it seems that the domU system became unstable
and would not boot.

Later I tried parallels and did get Vista working with sound and networking,
but again after a few Vista reboots the system became unstable and would not
boot.

I was using RC1 though...

If you can get it to run and get networking up and get it stable, PLEASE
post to share your success story.

Thanks,

Ian Patton

On 12/13/06, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:

> Jimison, Ed wrote:
> >
> > Now that I finally got W2K installed as a guest, I'm moving on to
> > Vista. The initial setup and config worked and the Vista install
> > booted from CDROM and transferred files to the harddrive. After reboot
> > there is just a blank black screen, which is very similar to the W2K
> > install. With W2K I worked around it by hitting F5 and selecting
> > Standard PC. With Vista there is no such option.
> >
> > I transferred the ISO to disk and added it to my config file. When I
> > create the guest and it tries to boot I get this error:
> >
> > Boot from Hard Disk 0 failed
> >
> > FATAL: not a bootable disk
> >
> You might try running xm with boot from CD.
> xm create vistavirt1 boot=d
>
> I've been trying to install Win98SE, and the startup claims it can't
> find a driver for the CD. My file looks just about like your, I get
> asked to boot from disk or CD, then after a few screens it says it can't
> find a CD driver. I'm about to switch to vmware, even if I have to run
> Windows. Also tried:
> phy:/dev/dvd,hdc:c,r
> with no more luck.
>
> The install used to run slowly under qemu, and the operative word there
> is "run," I spent a bunch on a big new hvm capable server, and I can't
> install the things I need to test.
> >
> > My config file:
> >
> > # Automatically generated xen config file
> >
> > name = "vistavirt1"
> >
> > builder = "hvm"
> >
> > memory = "500"
> >
> > disk = [ '_file:/xen/vistavirt1,hda,w_',
> > '_file:/home/evjimiso/vista.iso,hdc:c,r_']
> >
> > vif = [ 'type=ioemu, mac=00:16:3e:3f:17:66, bridge=xenbr0', ]
> >
> > uuid = "2dc04ca6-4de7-0b22-8cc4-4bdb0ff273d9"
> >
> > device_model = "/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
> >
> > kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
> >
> > vnc=1
> >
> > vncunused=1
> >
> > apic=1
> >
> > acpi=1
> >
> > pae=1
> >
> > vcpus=1
> >
> > serial = "pty" # enable serial console
> >
> > on_reboot = 'restart'
> >
> > on_crash = 'restart'

> bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
> CTO TMR Associates, Inc
> Doing interesting things with small computers since 1979

Ian Patton