[Fedora-xen] Getting Debian domU running on fedora with fedora-native packages (works with xensource binaries)

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Mon Dec 18 00:27:48 UTC 2006

Hi,
I built a Debian domU on Fedora using debootstrap (which is really
easy, when using alien to create a debootstrap rpm).

This VM runs very fine on fedora fc 6 with xen and the xen-linux
kernel provides by xensource, and when built from sources.

When trying to use it with the fedora xen packages and kernels, I have
absolutely no luck.

First, I was hanging  on error message like "could not mount root
device on /dev/root" (sorry, I don't have it at hand, becaue I just
removed the fedora packages and used the xensource packages again, to
be sure it really still works there).

I got past that by creating an initrd  with --with=xennet
--preload=xenblk options, and boot the domU with this instead ofthe
initrd that comes with the fedora xen kernel package.

But then, the domU hangs on "starting crond..."  I have no idea what
is missing there, I already installed udev additionally, but that
doesn't help.

As said, this same system runs with no problem on FC6 with the
xensource binaries.

BTW: I run the system without pygrub and not with the kernel from
disk, but with the kernel= options...

Henning