[Fedora-xen] Re: can't boot xen kernel

Justin Conover justin.conover at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 14:18:40 UTC 2006

On 2/19/06, Justin Conover <justin.conover at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/18/06, Justin Conover <justin.conover at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 2/18/06, Justin Conover < justin.conover at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I can't boot the kernel-xen-hypervisor on one of my systems.  It bombs
> > > out when it wants to mount my /home
> > > Which is a RAID 5 with LVM, "can't find superblock", however a normal
> > > kernel boots fine.
> > >

> > > lsmod | egrep 'ata|raid'
> > > raid5                  27585  1
> > > xor                    18249  1 raid5
> > > raid1                  24513  2
> > > sata_sil               13641  4
> > > libata                 58189  1 sata_sil
> > > scsi_mod              129257  5
> > > sg,aic7xxx,scsi_transport_spi,libata,sd_mod
> > >

> > ls initrd-2.6.15-1.1955_FC5smp/lib/
> > aic7xxx.ko    dm-snapshot.ko  jbd.ko     sata_sil.ko
> > sd_mod.ko
> > dm-mirror.ko  dm-zero.ko      libata.ko  scsi_mod.ko
> > dm-mod.ko     ext3.ko         raid1.ko   scsi_transport_spi.ko
> >
> > ls initrd-2.6.15-1.1955_FC5hypervisor/lib/
> > aic7xxx.ko    dm-snapshot.ko  jbd.ko     sata_sil.ko
> > sd_mod.ko
> > dm-mirror.ko  dm-zero.ko      libata.ko  scsi_mod.ko
> > dm-mod.ko      ext3.ko         raid1.ko   scsi_transport_spi.ko
> >

> > Same stuff is being loaded
> >

> I thought it might have been just a bad raid5 when I built it after the
> install so I re-installed it.  Same problem
>
> fsck.ext3: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/md2
> /dev/md2:
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem
> (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and
> you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
> e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>

> Any ideas?  Both md0/md1 boot fine and they are raid1's is there something
> about raid5 the xen kernel might not like?

Some stuff from dmesg about md2 with the normal kernel booting it.

md: considering sdd1 ...
md:  adding sdd1 ...
md:  adding sdc1 ...
md:  adding sdb1 ...
md:  adding sda1 ...
md: created md2
md: bind<sda1>
md: bind<sdb1>
md: bind<sdc1>
md: bind<sdd1>
md: running: <sdd1><sdc1><sdb1><sda1>
md: personality for level 5 is not loaded!
md: do_md_run() returned -22
md: md2 stopped.
md: unbind<sdd1>
md: export_rdev(sdd1)
md: unbind<sdc1>
md: export_rdev(sdc1)
md: unbind<sdb1>
md: export_rdev(sdb1)
md: unbind<sda1>
md: export_rdev(sda1)
md: ... autorun DONE.
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds

<SNIP>

md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
md: autorun ...
md: considering sda1 ...
md:  adding sda1 ...
md:  adding sdb1 ...
md:  adding sdc1 ...
md:  adding sdd1 ...
md: created md2
md: bind<sdd1>
md: bind<sdc1>
md: bind<sdb1>
md: bind<sda1>
md: running: <sda1><sdb1><sdc1><sdd1>
raid5: automatically using best checksumming function: pIII_sse
   pIII_sse  :  1733.000 MB/sec
raid5: using function: pIII_sse (1733.000 MB/sec)
md: raid5 personality registered for level 5
md: raid4 personality registered for level 4
raid5: device sda1 operational as raid disk 0
raid5: device sdb1 operational as raid disk 1
raid5: device sdc1 operational as raid disk 2
raid5: device sdd1 operational as raid disk 3
raid5: allocated 4206kB for md2
raid5: raid level 5 set md2 active with 4 out of 4 devices, algorithm 2
RAID5 conf printout:
 --- rd:4 wd:4 fd:0
 disk 0, o:1, dev:sda1
 disk 1, o:1, dev:sdb1
 disk 2, o:1, dev:sdc1
 disk 3, o:1, dev:sdd1
md: ... autorun DONE.

<SNIP>

EXT3 FS on md2, internal journal
SELinux: initialized (dev md2, type ext3), uses xattr