[Fedora-xen] FC4 on a FC5 Xen System

Eredicator X eredicator at hugedesigns.net
Mon Jun 5 08:53:31 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Ian Kent <ikent at redhat.com>
To: Eredicator X <eredicator at hugedesigns.net>
Cc: fedora-xen at redhat.com
Sent: Monday, June 5, 2006 5:29:32 PM GMT+0900
Subject: Re: [Fedora-xen] FC4 on a FC5 Xen System

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 14:41 +0900, Eredicator X wrote:
> I am trying to install a FC4 domain on my Xen FC5 system that has several FC5 domains already running well.
>
> I get through the install questions and then am told that my url is invalid. I thought it was my tree so I made another ... then tested that with a FC4 install on a separate box and it works fine. I don't see any hints in the logs and if I switch to my FC5 tree the install takes off with out a problem.
>
> Can anyone point me to a tutorial or some reference for this.... I have googled around quite a bit and not found anything at this time......

I posted a similar question as well but with a slightly different view.

I bet you'll find that your build tree doesn't have an
images/xen/vmlinux or an images/xen/initrd.img (unless you've built
them). Then there's the problem that an FC4 tree doesn't (usually) have
a domU kernel either.

If they were there, such as with Rawhide, then it still fails to start
the install without any apparent clues in the log as far as I can see.
At least that's my experience.

Anyone willing to describe the process to build the boot kernel and init
ramdisk and a domU kernel for FC4?

Anyone know why the boot kernel and init ramdisk image in the Rawhide
tree doesn't seem to work from FC5?

Ian

Thanks Ian for making my request a little clearer.... I simply need to have a FC4 box so I can continue to use my current mail server and cut down on power consumption by combining boxes. This runs at my house and I pay the electric bill :(.

I have seen posts on the Xen users list where people are running multiple os's cent debian ect. on thier Xen servers, so it is possible, I just need the how.

Thanks again and any imput is appreciated.

E./