[Fedora-xen] Xen install of other than FC5 on FC5 Dom0

Ian Kent ikent at redhat.com
Wed Jun 7 03:40:47 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 12:20 +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 23:22 +0800, Ian Kent wrote:
>
> > It appears that I can only build FC5 guests on my FC5 machine.
> >
> > Anyone have any pointers to documentation that can explain creating
> > guests of another distribution, such as Rawhide, on my FC5 box?
>
> Right now, rawhide is using a later version of Xen than FC5 (FC5 is
> using the 3.0.2 stable Xen release, whereas rawhide is tracking upstream
> Xen development).  You can run an earlier guest on a later
> hypervisor/dom0, but not the other way around; so you can't run a
> rawhide guest on an FC5 xen0 kernel.

Thanks. That's the conclusion I arrived at from poking around.

> People have reported success running a rawhide kernel on FC5, and using
> that to host a rawhide guest, though.

Tried this but unfortunately my Radeon based card has become a problem
again with the latest Rawhide kernel and I haven't really got time right
now to deal with it.

The other thing that this post begs is the question of how to get an FC4
guest running using the standard xenguest-install.py script since there
is no simple way to generate the initial ramdisk image needed (of course
there is a xenU kernel that could be used in the repo).

It puzzles me that we haven't we put together a package that has a set
of such install pairs for our distributions that have included Xen
support? OK, maintenance of such a package in a fast moving development
area like this would be a pain.

Ian