[Fedora-xen] xenguest-install.py, DomU network fails

Riaan van Niekerk riaan at obsidian.co.za
Mon May 8 21:14:19 UTC 2006

I am trying to install FC5 xen guests in a FC5 host, but it looks as if
networking fails to come up.
relevant info:
- Centrino M laptop
- install tree is also on laptop

I tried the installtree over NFS and HTTP, with the following commandlines
and
error messages:

xenguest-install.py -n vm1 -f /d/vm/vm1.vmdk -s 2 -r 256 -l
http://192.168.3.35/5 -x "lang=en_US.UTF-8 keymap=us ip=192.168.3.39 vnc"

 /5/Fedora/base/stage2.img: Failed to connect to HTTP server
and
 Unable to retrieve http://192.168.3.35/5/Fedora/base/stage2.img: Failed

(I can wget the file from the host though)

xenguest-install.py -n vm1 -f /d/vm/vm1.vmdk -s 2 -r 256 -l
nfs:192.168.3.35:/data/fc/5/ -x "lang=en_US.UTF-8 keymap=us
ip=192.168.3.39 vnc"

 That directory could not be mounted from the server.

in the apache logs, I can see that the host, .35 is downloading
images/xen/vmlinuz and images/xen/initrd.img but there is nothing in the
logs which show that .39 comes up and tries to get stage2.img

I have to assume that the interface in DomU does not come up correctly
and no IP is assigned to this interface. Bridging looks correct:

how
xenbr0          8000.feffffffffff       no              peth0
                                                        vif0.0
                                                        vif1.0

Any ideas on how to fix/troubleshoot this further?

Also, does anyone know how to install off a CD-ROM image? the
file /usr/sbin/xenguest-install.py has references to cdrom but I see no
way to point the installer at anything but nfs, ftp or http.

TIA
Riaan