[Fedora-xen] sparse-merge tutorial

Juan Quintela quintela at redhat.com
Wed May 24 03:36:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 22:47 -0400, Aron Griffis wrote:

For me it is way, way more easy :)

I just use:

hg clone http://kernel.org/hg/linux-2.6/
hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6-xen.hg
hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/linux-2.6.tip-xen.hg

hg clone http://kernel.org/hg/linux-2.6/ fedora-2.6
cd fedora-2.6
hg pull -u ../linux-2.6-xen.hg
hg pull -u ../linux-2.6
hg pull -u ../linux-2.6.tip-xen

I have to publish my tree somewhere (will do as soon as I have a machine
with mercurial installed and reasonable bandwidth).

> $ cd xen-ia64-unstable.hg
> $ LINUXDIR=$HOME/linux-2.6 NEWTAG=v2.6.17-rc4-git9 ARCH=. \
>     xen/arch/ia64/tools/sparse-merge
>
> At this point sparse-merge will do its magic.  For the most part, the
> port will go forward smoothly, but it will also announce rejects as it
> goes.  When it finishes, find the rejects and fix each one
> appropriately:
>
> $ find linux-2.6-xen-sparse -name \*.rej

I didn't new the sparge-merge script will take a look at it.

> When you're done, you can remove the rejects and diffs from the sparse
> tree.  You might save them first in case you'd like to reference them
> later:

I don't use normally the sparse trees, because they are a pain in the
ass to maintain, and try to use just a _real_ tree.

ia64 portions of the xen patch are removed from the fedora kernel
because it breaks the non-xen ia64 builds.  Last time that I checked,
ia66-xen needed major surgery to compile with xen disabled (but I was
using xen-unstable.hg tree at the time, not yours).

Later, Juan.