[Fedora-xen] sparse-merge tutorial

Aron Griffis aron at hp.com
Wed May 24 12:09:50 UTC 2006

Hi Juan,

Nice to meet you. :-)

Juan Quintela wrote:  [Tue May 23 2006, 11:36:56PM EDT]
> hg clone http://kernel.org/hg/linux-2.6/
> hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6-xen.hg
> hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/linux-2.6.tip-xen.hg
>
> hg clone http://kernel.org/hg/linux-2.6/ fedora-2.6
> cd fedora-2.6
> hg pull -u ../linux-2.6-xen.hg
> hg pull -u ../linux-2.6
> hg pull -u ../linux-2.6.tip-xen
>
> I have to publish my tree somewhere (will do as soon as I have a machine
> with mercurial installed and reasonable bandwidth).

Indeed this is much simpler!  I have some questions though:

1. How are the linux-2.6-xen.hg and linux-2.6.tip-xen.hg trees
   maintained?  Is 2.6.tip a port of xenlinux to linux-2.6 tip?

2. How do you guarantee that you're matching versions with the fedora
   kernel, since it is based on git snapshots?  I was using tip for
   merging at first, but quickly ran into discrepancies.  For that
   reason I'm using the exact same git snapshot now.

3. How do you prevent pollution of the patch with non-xen files?  Your
   method would seem to create a patch to update the Fedora kernel
   beyond git11 (at present) to tip, but you must be handling it
   somehow.  I imagine all the updated files would appear in the
   xen diff, beyond those directly related.

> ia64 portions of the xen patch are removed from the fedora kernel
> because it breaks the non-xen ia64 builds.  Last time that I checked,
> ia66-xen needed major surgery to compile with xen disabled (but I was
> using xen-unstable.hg tree at the time, not yours).

Yep, this is fixed now. :-)

Thanks for your response.  The ia64 team is working fast... I hope
we'll be able to merge with your work soon.

Regards,
Aron