[Fedora-xen] FC5/Xen LVM resize question

Rainer Fuegenstein rfu at kaneda.iguw.tuwien.ac.at
Mon May 29 18:47:04 UTC 2006

hi,

> im playing around with Xen and FC5. There is one thing i dont get
> working. When i resize a logical volume in dom0 with lvextend, and this
> volume is used and mounted in a domU, it seems that the domU does not
> notice the new size of the partition until rebooted.

stupid question: did you resize the filesystem after extending the
logical volume ?

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.9

this works for me:
- shutdown DomU
- extend LV in Dom0
- extend filesystem in Dom0
- restart (create) domU

> Should this work somehow without rebooting the domU, or is this the
> intended behavior?
in theory, with a filesystem that allows online-resizing (see link
above), it shouldn't be necessary to shutdown DomU. But haven't tried yet.

> I think, i could create a volume goup inside of a domU and add space to
> the domU by adding new block devices and adding their space to the
> volume group. But is this really a clever way of doing this, or are
> there any easier ways?
extending the logical volume in Dom0 is surely a more elegant approach.

cu