[Fedora-xen] FC5/Xen LVM resize question

Heinz Deinhart heinz at nix.at
Mon May 29 18:56:06 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Mon, 29 May 2006, Rainer Fuegenstein wrote:

>> im playing around with Xen and FC5. There is one thing i dont get working.
>> When i resize a logical volume in dom0 with lvextend, and this volume is
>> used and mounted in a domU, it seems that the domU does not notice the new
>> size of the partition until rebooted.
>
> stupid question: did you resize the filesystem after extending the logical
> volume ?

yes, id did this. Even if its not resized, the changes are not even
recognized by fdisk when i do a partprobe as David Robinson suggested.

> this works for me:
> - shutdown DomU
> - extend LV in Dom0
> - extend filesystem in Dom0
> - restart (create) domU

This works because the dom0 knows about the new size immediatly. But
what i wanted to do is a resize without restarting the domU.

>> Should this work somehow without rebooting the domU, or is this the
>> intended behavior?
> in theory, with a filesystem that allows online-resizing (see link above), it
> shouldn't be necessary to shutdown DomU. But haven't tried yet.

Well, i could not find any statement in the docu that really tells me
that this would work. On the other side i could not find a statement
that tells me it wont work. :)

>> I think, i could create a volume goup inside of a domU and add space to the
>> domU by adding new block devices and adding their space to the volume
>> group. But is this really a clever way of doing this, or are there any
>> easier ways?
> extending the logical volume in Dom0 is surely a more elegant approach.

Agreed, this approach is not very elegant, but it seems its the only
currently possible way to extend a domU fs without a restart.

ciao,
Heinz

--
Heinz Deinhart