[Fedora-xen] No console and other woes Xen and FC6

Ben Evans ben at benevans.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 10 14:50:43 UTC 2006

OK, I'm using (or trying to use) Xen on FC6, everything completely bog
standard. I'm obviously really missing something because I've been going
nowhere.

I can fire up the vm manager GUI, configure a new vm, drop FC6 on it (and
obviously see the domain-0), both the Xen demons are running. However, after
the vm tries to reboot during the install, it *disappears* from the vm
manager, and try as I might I can't find a way to restart the vm.

So then I tried saving the sate of the vm before rebooting it, using the
"save" menu item, which I presume squirts some kind of state image to disk.
However, I can't get on the console of a saved and restored machine using
the virtual machine manager, I just get a message saying "The console is
currently unavailable" despite the fact that the vm manger quite happily
says the vm is running.

Also, the vm manager *deletes* the state image without offering you the
opportunity to preserve it as soon as you "restore" it!

I think the menu terminology used for this user interface is not very well
thought out really. Perhaps "Irretrievably Break" would be a better label
than "Restore" on the menu for this item?

Anyway, I'm sure it's all good stuff, I just need to find out how to make it
work before chucking the computer off my fifth floor balcony.

Any advice gratefully received..

Cheers

Ben