[Fedora-xen] No console and other woes Xen and FC6

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Nov 10 15:31:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 02:50:43PM -0000, Ben Evans wrote:
> OK, I'm using (or trying to use) Xen on FC6, everything completely bog
> standard. I'm obviously really missing something because I've been going
> nowhere.
>

> I can fire up the vm manager GUI, configure a new vm, drop FC6 on it (and
> obviously see the domain-0), both the Xen demons are running. However, after
> the vm tries to reboot during the install, it *disappears* from the vm
> manager, and try as I might I can't find a way to restart the vm.

  this is being worked on. At this point you need to run 'xm create $vm_name'
as root to start an halted domain.

> Also, the vm manager *deletes* the state image without offering you the
> opportunity to preserve it as soon as you "restore" it!

  That's normal. The state of the system is also tied to the state of the
disk images. If you were to restore, halt, and restart from the restore point
you would just run off filesystems in a different state and nearly garanteed
to corrupt the disk images.

> I think the menu terminology used for this user interface is not very well
> thought out really. Perhaps "Irretrievably Break" would be a better label
> than "Restore" on the menu for this item?

  Save and Restore are the canonical names for those operation you would
find in operating system courses.

Daniel