[Fedora-xen] FC6 w updates: xenguest-install.py hangs on Dell poweredge

. . porjo38 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 27 20:44:40 UTC 2006

>From: fedora-xen-request at redhat.com
>To: fedora-xen at redhat.com
>Subject: Fedora-xen Digest, Vol 12, Issue 52
>Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:00:10 -0500 (EST)
>

>Message: 1
>Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:50:52 +0100 (CET)
>From: Paul Wouters <paul at xelerance.com>
>Subject: Re: [Fedora-xen] FC6 w updates: xenguest-install.py hangs on
>	Dell	poweredge
>To: ". ." <porjo38 at hotmail.com>
>Cc: fedora-xen at redhat.com

>noapic"

> > >Using kpartx and losetup, I checked the filesystems. They hasn't been
> > >any writing apart from formatting done to the disk. So no logfiles of
> > >the anaconda installer to see what went wrong either :
> >
> > >Paul
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having exactly the same issue trying to load a new Xen guest system.
>My
> > setup is:
> >
> > AMD64, 1Gig RAM, SATA Hard disk
> > Fedora Core 6 x86_64 - Dom0
> >
> > I'm using FC6 for the guest system also, installing to a partition of
>the hard
> > disk - /dev/sda15
> > The installation source is an NFS mount of the FC6 DVD media (in the
>local DVD
> > drive).
> >
> > It gets to the "Starting install process.  This may take several
>minutes..."
> > and just sits there. Every couple of minutes, the DVD drives spins up
>and
> > reads but nothing else happens - like it's stuck in a loop of some kind.
>The
> > log files in /var/log/xen don't give any clues.
>
>I did not get past this yet. I ended up doing a manual yum install with
>yum:
>
>yum -c yum-xen.conf --installroot=/mnt -y groupinstall Base
>
>Though perhaps next time I'll use a qemu install using the ISO DVD.
>
>Paul

>End of Fedora-xen Digest, Vol 12, Issue 52

Hi Paul,

That's a good idea. I'm only somewhat familiar with this method - I
understand that you are mounting the Guest filesystem to /mnt then using yum
to install packages onto it. Do you have a good 'howto' you can recommend
that describes this procedure. Also, could you cat your yum-xen.conf file
for me? I'm not sure what you mean by a 'qemu install' - can you elaborate
on that?

Thanks,
Ian.

Advertisement: Looking to expand your DVD collection?  Go to
www.tradingpost.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etradingpost%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fbrowse%2FEntertainment%2DElectronics%2FDVDs%2DCDs%2DVideos%2DRecords%2DTapes%2Floc%5FlocRZSQregtAVSCdistRZSQAVSCstateRZSQ9AVSCregRZSQ%5Fns%5FTrue%5Foff%5F0%5Fsqt%5F1%5Fstpg%5F0%5F%3Freferrer%3Dplace1&_t=758874129&_r=emailtagline_nov&_m=EXT