[Fedora-xen] FC6 w updates: xenguest-install.py hangs on Dell poweredge

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Nov 27 20:59:45 UTC 2006

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006, . . wrote:

> That's a good idea. I'm only somewhat familiar with this method - I understand
> that you are mounting the Guest filesystem to /mnt then using yum to install
> packages onto it. Do you have a good 'howto' you can recommend that describes
> this procedure. Also, could you cat your yum-xen.conf file for me? I'm not
> sure what you mean by a 'qemu install' - can you elaborate on that?

dd if=/dev/zero of=fc6-i386.img bs=1M count=1 seek=4096
/sbin/mke2fs -F -j fc6-i386.img

mount -o loop fc6-i386.img /mnt
mkdir /mnt/dev
mkdir /mnt/proc
mkdir /mnt/etc
for i in console null zero ; do /sbin/MAKEDEV -d /mnt/dev -x $i ; done

create /mnt/etc/fstab with:
/dev/hda1               /                       ext3    defaults 1 1
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults 0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults 0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults 0 0

mount -t proc none /mnt/proc

create yum-xen.conf with:

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
exclude=*-debuginfo
gpgcheck=0
obsoletes=1
reposdir=/dev/null

[base]
name=Fedora Core 6 - i386 - Base
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-6
enabled=1

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core 6 - i386 - Released Updates
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc6
enabled=1

run: yum -c yum-xen.conf --installroot=/mnt -y groupinstall Base
find /mnt/var/cache/yum -name \*.rpm | xargs rm
mv /mnt/lib/tls /mnt/lib/tls-disabled
[edit /mnt/etc/sysconfig/selinux if you want to disabled it]
sync
umount /mnt

create the xen config, using root=/dev/hda1 and the diskimage pointing to "hda1".

Using qemu you simply do:

dd if=/dev/zero of=fc6-i386.img bs=1M count=1 seek=4096
qemu -hda fc6-i386.img -cdrom fc6-dvd.iso -boot d -nographics

after it is done, create the xen config using pygrub and xvda as diskimage.
(like the current installer creates for you)

Paul