[Fedora-xen] /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: illegal option -- v

Anand Gupta xen.mails at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 22:12:42 UTC 2006

While using mkinitrd on debian sarge, it gives the following error:

mkinitrd -v -f --with=aacraid --with=sd_mod --with=scsi_mod
initrd-2.6.16-xen.img 2.6.16-xen
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd: illegal option -- v

$Id: mkinitrd,v 1.201 2004/05/16 22:00:48 herbert Exp $

Usage: /usr/sbin/mkinitrd [OPTION]... <-o outfile> [version]

  -d confdir  Specify an alternative configuration directory.
  -k          Keep temporary directory used to make the image.
  -m command  Set the command to make an initrd image.
  -o outfile  Write to outfile.
  -r root     Override ROOT setting in mkinitrd.conf.

See mkinitrd(8) for further details.

It looks like the syntax for mkinitrd is different from the ones used in RH
based distros. I have been trying different combinations however haven't had
any luck generating the initrd image. Can anyone please tell me how to use
this under debian to generate the image ??

--
regards,

Anand Gupta