[Fedora-xen] Ubuntu as DomU under Xen/FC5

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Wed Oct 4 23:34:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006, George Hill wrote:
> I have FC5 running Xen, or perhaps it is the other way
> 'round, as Dom0. I have installed another copy of FC5
> as a DomU, no problem. Now I am want to install Ubuntu
> as another guest. The instructions that I have read
> are all for installing Ubuntu on a system running
> Xen/Ubuntu and use debootstrap to boot the system. But
> debootstrap is a Debian package -- how would I run it
> under FC5? Or, simply, how could I go about installing
> Ubuntu under FC5/Xen? Thanks.

I just keep a tarball of a debootstrap'ed minimal debian install
on my FC5 box and use that to bootstrap new customer Xens.
Bout the only problem I've had with Xen/FC5 is the kernel crashes
which take out the networking - so I run a locally compiled kernel.
The FC5 domU kernel -does- run an Ubuntu/debian system fine.
Just be sure to add xennet to /etc/modules or your networking
won't be very friendly; and install the module utilities package
so you can load modules into the domU kernel at domU boot time.

A minimalistic debootstrap'ed debian system isn't that big.

-rw-r--r-- 1 adrian adrian 49267331 Jul 10 22:18 debian-base.tar.gz

Adrian