[Fedora-xen] Re: What are the minimal required FC6 packages for Dom0?

Mathew Brown mathewbrown at fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 8 12:15:31 UTC 2006

Hi,
  Actually, just a small point of clarification.  Guest OSes can know if
  they're running in a hypervisor in hardware virtualization.  If you're
  using AMD-V, there's an instruction called VMMCALL that allows the
  guest OS to check to see if it's running under a hypervisor or not.
  On Intel, the equivalent instruction is VMCALL.  This is useful
  because if it finds that it is running under a hypervisor, it can do
  things such as ask for more memory if it's running out of memory or
  ask for more disk space.  Here's an article about if:
  http://developer.amd.com/articles.aspx?id=15&num=3  You can also
  search google for VMMCALL or VMCALL :)

PS.  Of course, the guest OS would have to have the ability to do this
check.  I'm not sure how complicated it would be.  Probably a patch to
the kernel or something.

--
  Mathew Brown
  mathewbrown at fastmail.fm