[Fedora-xen] AoE with Xen

Andy Burns fedora.lists at burns.me.uk
Sun Apr 22 12:16:02 UTC 2007

I'm considering using AoE with Xen, my setup would be vblade on one
FC7 storage server with mdraid over 6x SATA disks, and two xen hosts
with FC7 using aoe+aoetools, using eth1 on all servers to a separate
VLAN for SAN traffic, eth0 used for normal LAN traffic, all gigabit.

I'm wondering does it make more sense to slice up /dev/md1 on the
storage server with LVM and then serve multiple /dev/VGxx/LVxx block
devices with individual vblade processes using their own AoE
shelf/slot ID to individual dom0 (or direct to AoE in domU)?

Or to serve the whole /dev/md1 using a single vblade process on the
storage server and then use CLVM or GFS on each xen dom0 to slice up a
single /dev/etherd/e0.0 in a coordinated way?

My thoughts are that using a cluster filesystem would save the hassle
of starting/stopping vblade processes whenever resizing LVs and any
associated confusion of shelf/slot IDs

But I'm not sure of the overhead of cluster filesystems, does DLM only
get involved for maintenance operations on LVs, or for all I/O
activity?

Thoughts welcome from anyone using (or having attempted) either approach ...