[Fedora-xen] RE: Upgrading Xen machines

Formoso, Travis Travis.Formoso at blueslate.net
Wed Aug 15 19:30:52 UTC 2007

Update on this issue and need some help. I am trying to get an old FC4 image booted up on my new FC7 xen box so that I can upgrade the old FC4 machine to FC7 - however I am having trouble booting it up. I will place the config file after explanation.

The situation is as follows: I have 2 old P3 boxes with xen images on them. We now have a new Power Edge server and I installed Fedora Core 7 on it. I then transferred over all the files from the old boxes to the new FC7 box and have the same directory structures. (All the files were in the /xen directory and a bunch of sub-directories with the xen images.)

I am trying to get one of the old FC4 xen images to boot with an xm create -c (config file name) - however when I do that - it will not boot and giving me errors.

I did a few things listed below: (Itamar on the mailing list guided me in this direction)

I created a new initrd with this command: mkinitrd --preload=xenblk --preload=xennet -f -v /boot/initrd-2.6.20-2925.13.fc7xen.guest.img 2.6.20-2925.13.fc7xen

I then had my new initrd img with xenblk and xennet.

Now in the config file I had to change the kernel from:

#kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4xenU"
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-2925.13.fc7xen"

So that I can get the old machine to boot up in the FC7 environment.

When I go to boot the machine I get this: xm create -c xmconfig

4gb seg fixup, process S28autofs (pid 825), cs:ip 73:0092914b
printk: 197950 messages suppressed.
4gb seg fixup, process egrep (pid 973), cs:ip 73:008e8149
printk: 116932 messages suppressed.
4gb seg fixup, process sendmail (pid 962), cs:ip 73:004d675f
printk: 15 messages suppressed.
4gb seg fixup, process dhcpd (pid 941), cs:ip 73:00d20d7f
printk: 108 messages suppressed.
4gb seg fixup, process sendmail (pid 962), cs:ip 73:004d675f
printk: 15 messages suppressed.
4gb seg fixup, process named (pid 752), cs:ip 73:002f775f

This just keeps repeating and going and never stops and I can not do anything with the machine except kill it.

I googled for these errors and tried just about everything I could find and nothing worked. It all comes back to this repeating.

I really would like to get this FC4 image up and running so I can go in and then update it to FC7 as I have to do this with 4 of our old images.

Here is the full config file. If you guys have any ideas of what I could do please let me know.

#  -*- mode: python; -*-
#============================================================================
# Python configuration setup for 'xm create'.
# This script sets the parameters used when a domain is created using 'xm create'.
# You use a separate script for each domain you want to create, or
# you can set the parameters for the domain on the xm command line.
#============================================================================

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Kernel image file.
#kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-1.1398_FC4xenU"
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-2925.13.fc7xen"

# Optional ramdisk.
#ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.gz"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-2.6.20-2925.13.fc7xen.guest.img"

# The domain build function. Default is 'linux'.
#builder='linux'

# Initial memory allocation (in megabytes) for the new domain.
memory = 128

# A name for your domain. All domains must have different names.
name = "sec-int-dns"

# Which CPU to start domain on?
#cpu = -1   # leave to Xen to pick

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define network interfaces.

# Number of network interfaces. Default is 1.
#nics=1

# Optionally define mac and/or bridge for the network interfaces.
# Random MACs are assigned if not given.
#vif = [ 'mac=aa:00:00:00:00:11, bridge=xen-br0' ]
vif = [ 'mac=aa:00:00:00:01:04'  ]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define the disk devices you want the domain to have access to, and
# what you want them accessible as.
# Each disk entry is of the form phy:UNAME,DEV,MODE
# where UNAME is the device, DEV is the device name the domain will see,
# and MODE is r for read-only, w for read-write.

disk = [ 'file:/xen/sec-int-dns/root.img,sda1,w', 'file:/xen/sec-int-dns/swap.img,sda2,w' ]

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Set the kernel command line for the new domain.
# You only need to define the IP parameters and hostname if the domain's
# IP config doesn't, e.g. in ifcfg-eth0 or via DHCP.
# You can use 'extra' to set the runlevel and custom environment
# variables used by custom rc scripts (e.g. VMID=, usr= ).

# Set if you want dhcp to allocate the IP address.
dhcp="dhcp"
#ip="17x.2x.x.xx"
# Set netmask.
#netmask="255.255.255.0"
# Set default gateway.
#gateway="17x.xx.x.x"
# Set the hostname.
hostname= "sec-int-dns"

# Set root device.
root = "/dev/sda1 ro"

# Root device for nfs.
#root = "/dev/nfs"
# The nfs server.
#nfs_server = 'xxx.xxx.x.0'
# Root directory on the nfs server.
#nfs_root   = '/full/path/to/root/directory'

# Sets runlevel 4.
extra = "4"

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Set according to whether you want the domain restarted when it exits.
# The default is 'onreboot', which restarts the domain when it shuts down
# with exit code reboot.
# Other values are 'always', and 'never'.

#restart = 'onreboot'

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use of
Blue Slate Solutions and the intended recipient(s) and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended
copies of the original message. Any unauthorized review, use,
or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.