[Fedora-xen] xen-unstable => 3.2, binary packages

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Dec 10 13:34:48 UTC 2007

Ian Jackson wrote:
> Daniel Veillard writes ("Re: [Fedora-xen] xen-unstable => 3.2, binary packages"):
>>   'Fedora Core' was renamed 'Fedora' between version 6 and 7, you
>> will find the latests under the 'releases' subdir:
>
> Ahh!  Thanks.
>
>>  My own opinion about this is that since xen is packaged as part of
>> Fedora, rebuilding a package on your side might be more of a problem
>> than a solution (I mean for official release rather than for testing)
>> since it's best to keep a coherency. If you have some problems with
>> the packages as done in Fedora, it's better to get the issues (assuming
>> any) solved, rather than putting a parallel set of packages, in the end
>> avoiding users confusions helps everybody in my opinion.
>
> Right, I can absolutely see where you're coming from and obviously I
> would prefer to let Fedora developers do the work too :-).
>
> The question is what users might be expected to do between the release
> of Xen 3.2 and the time that Fedora releases its Xen 3.2 packages.
> For most users of Xen it's a pretty critical and important package and
> some kind of backport of Xen 3.2 onto their running system is likely
> to be valuable to many.  Xen users may often want to choose explicitly
> to upgrade their Xen version.
>
> I don't know what Fedora's policy is about including new upstream
> versions in updates, but I would think that most sensible policies
> would generally frown on pushing a new hypervisor into an
> already-released distribution.

I'm not an official part of the fedora project. I suggest you get the
latest from rawhide and work from that.

Contact one or more of the most recent people mentioned in the changelog
and offer to contribute the results, and by the way, can this go into
Fedora 7 & 8 too?

Rawhide is the bleeding edge of Fedora. people there expect to get cut:-)

I wouldn't regard fedora as a stable distribution; if stability is
important, CentOS is the place to go for cheapskates like me. Fedora
regularly gets new kernels and other new stuff, I don't see why xen
should be excluded.

Best all round though if it can be built to cohabit with earlier xen, so
people can have both at once, maybe (given its nature) choosing which at
boot time. That though will depend in part on related packages.

This user would quite like the latest in F8, but I'm not sure I want to
run rawhide.

--

Cheers
John