[Fedora-xen] xen-unstable => 3.2, binary packages

Ian Jackson Ian.Jackson at eu.citrix.com
Mon Dec 10 14:28:32 UTC 2007

John Summerfield writes ("Re: [Fedora-xen] xen-unstable => 3.2, binary packages"):
> I'm not an official part of the fedora project. I suggest you get the
> latest from rawhide and work from that.

I see.  Right.  I'll take a look.

> I wouldn't regard fedora as a stable distribution; if stability is
> important, CentOS is the place to go for cheapskates like me. Fedora
> regularly gets new kernels and other new stuff, I don't see why xen
> should be excluded.

Fedora 8 gets substantial new stuff ?  OK, well in that case if that's
likely to happen quickly then that's good.

> Best all round though if it can be built to cohabit with earlier xen, so
> people can have both at once, maybe (given its nature) choosing which at
> boot time. That though will depend in part on related packages.

Yes.  The Debian packages have an arrangement for doing this but they
achieve it with a very invasive (and time-consuming to maintain) set
of changes to the upstream Makefiles.  We're not going to get that
feature upstream in in 3.2 now, although I'll definitely be pushing it
later (although probably not based exactly on the Debian patchset).

> This user would quite like the latest in F8, but I'm not sure I want to
> run rawhide.

Right.

Regards,
Ian.