[Fedora-xen] Compatibility with others

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Tue Feb 6 12:51:42 UTC 2007

On 2/4/07, Vladimir Giszpenc <vladimir.giszpenc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there
> any plan to have a standard DomU format (such as the wonderful one FC6
> uses) to be used for all DomUs?

What do you mean with "standard domU format"? I think the different
implementations on different distributions all have their pros and
cons - I tested them on Fedora, SuSE, Ubuntu and Debian. Too long to
name all differences and pros and cons, but they all have theirs.

> Right now, it is easy to add FC6 on
> top of a FC6 Dom0 but if I want NetBSD as a Dom0 and RHEL5 as DomUs I
> would like a standard DomU adding tool to make that possible.

The problem with NetBSD is that the current available NetBSD Kernels
have a different PAE setting than the Fedora xen packages.
One would need to get a PAE-enabled NETBSD DomU Kernel - don't know if
this is just a simple compile switch and recompile, or if it's harder
to get. I've not found the time to ask the netbsd developers for a
solution.

Apart from that, there is not much of "following Fedoras path"
required for the others - basically virt-manager would only be
required to use the (when available as PAE) NetBSD Install kernel
instead of the Linux Kernel, and after installation switch to the
NetBSD runtime kernel.
That should be doable.

Henning