[Fedora-xen] XEN Kernel Panic [update]

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Feb 23 03:47:01 UTC 2007

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, master at bradleyland.com wrote:

> Almost certainly (believe me, based on hard-won experience) your problem
> is with the initrd.img defined in your VM config file:
>
> ramdisk= "/boot/initrd-2.6.19-1.2911.fc6xen.img"
>
> The root cause is probably the img file missing the xenblk.ko driver. Just
> rebuild the initrd using the "--with" switch to include it.

That's not enough, since you need to preload it. What I do to create
initrd's for the guests (xenU's) on the dom0 is:

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.19-1.2911.fc6xenU.img --preload=xenblk --with=xennet 2.6.19-1.2911.fc6xen

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Life would be much simpler if
all the "xen" kernel tree images include xenblk and xennet in the initrd.
The "space" won has been completely not worth the time people lost over
this issue.

Paul