[Fedora-xen] Xen kernel doesn't boot for me

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 14:56:39 UTC 2007

Doug Eubanks wrote:
> So I tried the lastest XEN kernel again on Friday (2.6.20-2925.11.fc7xen).
>
> It gets hung in a loop resetting the AIC7xxx adapter.  It resets,
> timesouts, resets again over and over.
>
> I have two adapters that use that driver in my system, the on board
> (which is disabled) and an Adaptec 2940 which has my DLT tape drive
> attached.  Is it possible that the 2.6.20-2925.11.fc7xen kernel has a
> bug in the AIC7xxxx driver that's been patched in the newer mainline kernel?

The 2.6.20...xen kernel really is based off the 2.6.20 standard (Fedora)
kernel.  So if the driver works in 2.6.20-2925 and not in the xen
version, it's not because of a bugfix, but because of something else
about Xen itself.

> If anyone needs the specific messages, I will be happy to write them
> down today (I have to reboot to install another 1G of RAM that's
> arriving today).

Very hard to say without seeing the messages.  Assuming that the boot
isn't getting you into a shell, setting up a serial console is the
easiest way to capture them.  Alternately you can try taking a
screenshot with a digital camera.

Rich.