[Fedora-xen] Xen kernel doesn't boot for me

Eduardo Habkost ehabkost at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 16:43:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 03:56:39PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Doug Eubanks wrote:
> >So I tried the lastest XEN kernel again on Friday (2.6.20-2925.11.fc7xen).
> >
> >It gets hung in a loop resetting the AIC7xxx adapter.  It resets,
> >timesouts, resets again over and over.
> >
> >I have two adapters that use that driver in my system, the on board
> >(which is disabled) and an Adaptec 2940 which has my DLT tape drive
> >attached.  Is it possible that the 2.6.20-2925.11.fc7xen kernel has a
> >bug in the AIC7xxxx driver that's been patched in the newer mainline
> >kernel?
>
> The 2.6.20...xen kernel really is based off the 2.6.20 standard (Fedora)
> kernel.  So if the driver works in 2.6.20-2925 and not in the xen
> version, it's not because of a bugfix, but because of something else
> about Xen itself.

Actually, it may be because of a missing bugfix, also. It may be because
the F7 non-xen kernel is based on a newer upstream kernel version,
or because I have missed some fix that went to the F7 non-xen kernel.

On FC6, both non-xen and xen kernels come from the same source package,
so this wouldn't happen on FC6. But somewhere between Fedora 6 and 7,
the non-xen and xen kernels were split, because the non-xen kernel was
being rebased faster than we were being able to rebase the xen patches.

Being as close as possible to the non-xen kernel is one of my goals,
but currently there may be some bits missing.

--
Eduardo