[Fedora-xen] Virtual Machine Migration Problems with Fedora Core XEN

taoj2 at cs.rpi.edu taoj2 at cs.rpi.edu
Thu Jul 19 01:56:45 UTC 2007

Hi,

(Sorry for the really long question :P)

I was trying to do the VM migration with Fedora Core XEN.

The configuration is like this:

Source Host: Host1, OS is Fedora Core 6
Destination Host: Host2, OS is Fedora Core 6

Both of the two hosts are of the same hardware architecture.

I have installed a XEN guest, XEN1, at Host1. The operating system of XEN1
is also Fedora Core 6.

What I wanted to do is to migrate XEN1 from Host1 to Host2.

Before doing the migration, the xend could be started successfully, and I
can use the system tool, Virtual Machine Manager, of Fedora Core to see
the information of all domains.

To enable the migration,

(1) First, I changed the configuration file,

/etc/xen/xend-config.sxp at HOST1, change is as following:
#(xend-unix-server yes)
(xend-relocation-server yes)
(xend-relocation-port 8002)
(xend-relocation-address ‘ ’)
(xend-relocation-hosts-allow host2)
#(xend-relocation-hosts-allow '^localhost$ ^localhost\\.localdomain$')

/etc/xen/xend-config.sxp at HOST2, change is as following:
#(xend-unix-server yes)
(xend-relocation-server yes)
(xend-relocation-port 8002)
(xend-relocation-address ‘ ’)
(xend-relocation-hosts-allow host1)
#(xend-relocation-hosts-allow '^localhost$ ^localhost\\.localdomain$')

?? Should I use (xend-relocation-hosts-allow '') instead of
(xend-relocation-hosts-allow host1) ?

Then I restart the xend: "service xend restart"

However the system tool, Virtual Machine Manager,of Fedora Core, can't
run. After I click the "connect", the following error msg appears:

Unable to open a connection to the Xen Hypervisor/daemon
Verify that:
-A Xen host kernel was booted
-The Xen service has been started

It's weird. Because I can use "service xend status" to show that xend is
running and use "xm list" to show that Domain-0 is running. But Virtual
Machine Manager doesn't work. ??

(2) Second, configure NFS to export a shared storage via NFS. The shared
storage can be accessed from HOST1 and HOST2.

(3) Third, run "xm create -c XEN1"

However, Some error messages appear, they are as follows:

Using config file "/etc/xen/xen1".
Going to boot Fedora Core (2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6xen)
  kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6xen
  initrd: /initrd-2.6.19-1.2911.6.5.fc6xen.img
Started domain xen1
PCI: Fatal: No config space access function found
rtc: IRQ 8 is not free.
i8042.c: No controller found.

What is the reason of this problem? And "xm list" shows that XEN1 is
there. ??

Since the guest can't be started. I shutdown it. And following msg appears:

hcid[1318]: segfault at 00002aac0123b8a0 rip 00002aaaaacec014 rsp
00007fff7d5f9010 error 4
IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
md: stopping all md devices.
System halted.

(4) To enable the migration, do I need to change the security level and
firewall, for example, the firewall should be enabled or disabled, and add
any trusted ports besides the default ones. The SELinux should be
enforced, permited, or disabled? What changes do I need to make at the
source and destination hosts?

Thanks for you time.

Best Wishes
Angel