[Fedora-xen] Re: Xen kernel missing drivers?

Felix Schwarz felix.schwarz at web.de
Tue Jun 12 18:49:58 UTC 2007

Steve Brueckner wrote:
> Why might the standard Fedora7 kernel work OK, but the Fedora7 xen kernel
> not work?  Is it perhaps because of missing drivers in the xen kernel?

I can not say something specific regarding your hardware but I had a similar
problem with Fedora 6 and a Dell Dimension system about 7 months ago. The
problem was that the broadcom network chipset has some internal limitations
regarding the memory address size it can address. At that time, Xen did not have
a workaround for this so the linux driver (b44) won't work with a Xen kernel
while working well with an standard kernel.

So in essence, it may be a combination of hardware limitations and/or Xen that
your hardware does not work with Xen. Maybe incomplete Linux drivers. Searching
bugzilla helped me at that time :-)

fs