[Fedora-xen] Live VM Migration of XEN Failed

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 10:15:52 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 08:05:16PM -0500, taoj2 at cs.rpi.edu wrote:
> Hi, Dear All
>
> I was trying to do the live VM migration with Xen. There are two hosts,
> host1 and host2. Both hosts has Fedora Core 6 as the host operating
> system. And I created a XEN guest, XEN1, at host1. Now I want to migrate
> XEN1 from host1 to host2 using the live migration feature of XEN.
>
> First, I edited /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp on host1 and hosts to:
> #(xend-unix-server yes)
> (xend-relocation-server yes)
> (xend-relocation-port 8002)
> (xend-relocation-address '')
> (xend-relocation-hosts-allow '')

  You should list the hosts names there instead of an empty sting

> #(xend-relocation-hosts-allow '^localhost$ ^localhost\\.localdomain$')
>
> Then, I restart xend on host1 and host2:
> service xend restart
>
> Then, I exported the /var/lib/xen/images on host1 via NFS and mount this
> directory to host2. And the mount is successful.
>
> After that I start XEN guest on host1:
> xm create xen1
>
> However, I found that the Virtual Machine Manager of FC6 didn't work. It
> said:
> Unable to open to a connection to the Xen hypervisor/daemon.
> Verify that:
> -A Xen host kernel was booted
> -The Xen service has been started.
>
> But when I use "xm list", Domain-0 is running, and xen1 is blocked.
>
> Finally, I run "xm migrate -l xen1 host2", it failed, the error message is:
> Error: /usr/lib64/xen/bin/xc_save 4 1 0 0 1 failed.

 if the xen1 domain creation failed, the fact that migration fails is not
suprizing, maybe it was successful, but you should check the errors from
/var/log/xen/xend.log . Also saving and migrations do not work for
fully virtualized guests, only for paravirt ones which could explain the
xm migrate error.

Daniel