[fedora-xen] - Question on live migration

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Mar 26 13:15:55 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 05:13:25PM -0300, Davidson Rodrigues Paulo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to make a live migration of some Xen guests from a machine
> to another. At the moment I'm preparing both systems, syncing software
> versions, while I read some documentation about the live migration
> process.
>
> The process looks simple, but I'm still have only one question. Let me
> explain:
>
> I have a guest on my Xen host 1 that have 3 virtual partitions that
> are mapped to 3 logical volumes of the host, as follows:
>
> Guest virtual partition       Guest mount point        Host physical
> partition
> /dev/sda1                       /
> /dev/xenvg/apache-root
> /dev/sda2                       swap
> /dev/xenvg/apache-swap
> /dev/sda3                       /var
> /dev/xenvg/apache-var
>
> On the Xen host 2, I created the same physical partitions existing on
> Xen host 1, with same name and locations.

Urm, and how exactly are you expecting the data within those partitions
to replicate itself across machines... ?!?!  You need to have either a
shared block device (SAN, iSCSI, GNBD) with a cluster filesystem (GFS2,
OCFS),  or use a plain file as your disk backend locating it on NFS.

> Is that right or is something missing?

All your data is missing :-)

Dan.