[fedora-xen] - Question on live migration

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Mon Mar 26 13:50:34 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 09:06:34AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 05:13:25PM -0300, Davidson Rodrigues Paulo wrote:
> > I have a guest on my Xen host 1 that have 3 virtual partitions that
> > are mapped to 3 logical volumes of the host, as follows:
> >
> > Guest virtual partition       Guest mount point        Host physical
> > partition
> > /dev/sda1                       /
> > /dev/xenvg/apache-root
> > /dev/sda2                       swap
> > /dev/xenvg/apache-swap
> > /dev/sda3                       /var
> > /dev/xenvg/apache-var
> >
> > On the Xen host 2, I created the same physical partitions existing on
> > Xen host 1, with same name and locations.
>
>   Nahh, that won't work. For migration you need the same volumes, i.e.
> the simplest is to use NFS or GFS, but you definitely need network
> file systems for migration to really work.

Is it recommended to use GFS on a shared SAN LUN, or CLVM ? Or GFS on top of
CLVM volume?

I think plain CLVM should be fastest.. and obviously LVM volumes for domU
disks.

Any other things to take in account when choosing storage method for live
migrations.. any problems with online resizing of the filesystem and/or VG?

Thanks!

-- Pasi