[Fedora-xen] Xen Guest Installation question

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun May 6 23:21:40 UTC 2007

Lamont Peterson wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 May 2007 09:05am, Willemann, Phil wrote:
>> Hello Everyone:
>>
>> I'm new to Xen and have some Linux experience.  I have installed Fedora
>> Core 6 on a Intel 3.2 GHZ machine. (Note:  I have 1 machine to test
>> with.)  I have 6GB of RAM.  My ultimate goal is to install a few
>> versions of Fedora Core 3 on the box.  (I have an old application that
>> uses FC3)  I can start up the virt-install GUI with no problems.  My
>> questions revolve around the location of FC3.
>>
>> 1.  I know it can't be installed from a FC3 Install CD.  <-- I don't
>> understand why this is not supported.  It would seem to be the easiest
>> thing to do.
>> 2.  I know I can use NFS or HTTP.
>> 3.  I have Apache Web Server running and NFS is enabled.
>>
>> Here are the questions
>>
>> 1.  If I want to use http or NFS, do I copy the entire FC3 Install CD to
>> some place on the hard drive?  Is the copy a *.iso file or is it the
>> individual          files from the CD?  This has never been clear for
>> me.  I have seen conflicting information on the net about this
>
> Either.
>
> You can copy all files from each CD turn into a directory and share that via
> NFS or HTTP (or FTP) for network installs. To copy the CDs, mount them one by
> one,
> run "cp -a /media/cdrom/* /wherever/you/want/it/", "umount /media/cdrom/", do
> the same with the next CD and so on until they are all copied over.  Make
> sure to use the same destination directory for the cp command every time.
> Substitute whatever path your CD/DVD drive mounts at for /media/cdrom/ if
> that's not the right value.

I am sure this does not work well with the advent of yum repos on
install media. It's okay if you have a DVD image (there is only one),
but from CD there will be problems.

I've not yet see documentation, but I think a createrepo command will
fix it.

BUT, the files will be ro, so something like this would be the go:
find <newrepo> -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find <newrepo> ! -type d -exec chmod 644 {} \;

Let's not have the xargs argument today, okay? Just to show I know, you
might also want this:
find <newrepo> -name TRANS.TBL -print0 \
   | xargs -0 rm -f --no-run-if-empty

Also, there are (probably) some filenames duplicated*, so the original
cp might be
cp -f <etc>

The find ... xargs ... removes those I know about.

> As of Red Hat Linux 7.2 (IIRC), which is a long time ago now, you can also
> just place the .iso images of the CDs (or of the DVD) in a directory and do
> NFS network installs (HTTP and FTP do not support this).
>
>> 2.  If I use http where do I put the files. (under /var/www/...??)
>
> If you're not familiar with how to configure Apache, you should probably just
> use NFS (it gives better performance anyway).  The other option is to create
> a subdirectory under /var/www/html/ (on Red Hat, /var/www/htdocs/
> or /srv/www/htdocs/ on almost all other systems) on the web server computer
> you want to use and then put the contents of the CDs in there

This is one way. I configure a virtual host for each distro, so each has
its own name space.

Placing the tree outside /var/www is possible, but selinux steps on your
toes.

>> 3.  I made a directory called /tmptest and copied the iso image to it.
>> I edited the /etc/exports file and added a line like this
>>     /tmptest   192.168.107.14(rw,sync)  <-- I assumed this means

I prefer not to litter the root directory; I generally use /var/local
(and sometimes have a whole disk there), others (I think) use /local

> There is no reason to make it rw, use ro for something like this.  It's
> important security-wise.

I managed to delete lots that way once; I was using the then-new (but
not mine I hasten to add) script to create a rescue compact disk, and it
had to be run as root. There was a bug in it.... It's saner now.