[Fedora-xen] Xen Guest Installation question

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Sun May 6 18:14:20 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 01 May 2007 09:05am, Willemann, Phil wrote:
> Hello Everyone:
>
> I'm new to Xen and have some Linux experience.  I have installed Fedora
> Core 6 on a Intel 3.2 GHZ machine. (Note:  I have 1 machine to test
> with.)  I have 6GB of RAM.  My ultimate goal is to install a few
> versions of Fedora Core 3 on the box.  (I have an old application that
> uses FC3)  I can start up the virt-install GUI with no problems.  My
> questions revolve around the location of FC3.
>
> 1.  I know it can't be installed from a FC3 Install CD.  <-- I don't
> understand why this is not supported.  It would seem to be the easiest
> thing to do.
> 2.  I know I can use NFS or HTTP.
> 3.  I have Apache Web Server running and NFS is enabled.
>
> Here are the questions
>
> 1.  If I want to use http or NFS, do I copy the entire FC3 Install CD to
> some place on the hard drive?  Is the copy a *.iso file or is it the
> individual          files from the CD?  This has never been clear for
> me.  I have seen conflicting information on the net about this

Either.

You can copy all files from each CD turn into a directory and share that via
NFS or HTTP (or FTP) for network installs. To copy the CDs, mount them one by
one,
run "cp -a /media/cdrom/* /wherever/you/want/it/", "umount /media/cdrom/", do
the same with the next CD and so on until they are all copied over.  Make
sure to use the same destination directory for the cp command every time.
Substitute whatever path your CD/DVD drive mounts at for /media/cdrom/ if
that's not the right value.

As of Red Hat Linux 7.2 (IIRC), which is a long time ago now, you can also
just place the .iso images of the CDs (or of the DVD) in a directory and do
NFS network installs (HTTP and FTP do not support this).

> 2.  If I use http where do I put the files. (under /var/www/...??)

If you're not familiar with how to configure Apache, you should probably just
use NFS (it gives better performance anyway).  The other option is to create
a subdirectory under /var/www/html/ (on Red Hat, /var/www/htdocs/
or /srv/www/htdocs/ on almost all other systems) on the web server computer
you want to use and then put the contents of the CDs in there

> 3.  I made a directory called /tmptest and copied the iso image to it.
> I edited the /etc/exports file and added a line like this
>     /tmptest   192.168.107.14(rw,sync)  <-- I assumed this means

There is no reason to make it rw, use ro for something like this.  It's
important security-wise.

> 192.168.107.14 has rw write access to /tmptest.

Try using:

/tmptest   *(ro,sync)

The "192.168.107.14" in there would mean that that IP address would be the
only permitted client.  Plus, if this is ro (which is important for
security), then there's no reason to limit which clients can connect to the
NFS server at the NFS server, unless you have troubles with people using your
install source and hogging bandwidth.

> This seems to make
> sense but the installation seems to always say invalid NFS source.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HTH.
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.