[Fedora-xen] What is XendInvalidDomain?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Nov 7 23:15:50 UTC 2007

Dustin Henning wrote:
> John,
> 	I don't remember for sure, but it kinda looks to me like xendomains
> (service to start and stop xen domains) is performing a shutdown instead of
> a save.  If that is true, then the terminated could be a successful shutdown
> or a timeout while waiting for shutdown (at which point the domain is
> destroyed).  In either case, your restore failures would be because of bad
> files in /var/lib/xen/save (or something like that) from a previous failed
> save.  Deleting those files would get rid of your restore errors and the
> domains would start normally when xendomains started back up (as they
> presumably do now).  This timeout during xendomains shutdown is configurable
> (even to forever), but I don't remember where.  What to do on xendomains
> shutdown (save or shutdown) is also configurable (likely in the same file,
> search for a xendomains.conf?).
> 	Dustin

hi, Dustin
My real, original,  problem was trying to get rid of the domain that
failed to install, so I could have another go. I was unable to find what
the error message means - see the subject line.

The errors in the second post arose while I was trying to work around
the original problem. They look to me like errors in the shell script;
they could be symptoms of the original problem, but they're not it.

There is currently nothing in /var/lib/xen/save.

The timeout is set in /etc/xen/scripts/locking.sh. I don't understand
what it does, but it seems to me it doesn't do what's wanted. The
"unknown" in this message seems to arise because the lock's not held:
Nov  6 12:49:29 potoroo logger: /etc/xen/scripts/vtpm-delete: Forced to
steal lock on /var/run/xen-hotplug/vtpmdb from unknown!

Judging from the number of the messages and their frequency, the script
is looping.

--

Cheers
John