[Fedora-xen] Minimal Fedora 8 Xen Setup for Laptop

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 11:33:13 UTC 2007

Mathew Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>   I was considering installing a minimal Fedora 8 setup with the Xen
>   kernel and then performing most of my work in several different DomUs
>   (perhaps Fedora of Ubuntu) as well as running Windows in a VMware
>   setup (don't currently have hardware virtualization support).  Note
>   that this is on a laptop.  Are there any specific issues that I should
>   be aware of (such as suspend/resume issues, etc.) and does anyone have
>   any specific recommendations?  Thank you for your help.

Xen and laptops aren't really friends with each other.  In particular
power management doesn't work so the laptop will run hot and eat
batteries, suspend/resume are unlikely to work, and so on.

Also it's difficult to mix different hypervisors.  I don't think you can
run Xen & VMWare at the same time.

Have you thought about using qemu instead?  A QEmu guest is just an
ordinary Linux process, so much more predictable.  It's a shame that
your laptop doesn't have HVM.  What is the processor?

Rich.