[Fedora-xen] VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0, 0)

Haifeng He hehaifeng2nd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 17:43:22 UTC 2007

Hi, All

I followed the steps in Fedora7VirtQuickStart to install Xen on Fedora 7.
I downloaded couples of file system image from http://jailtime.org/. However,
every time I tried to create guest OS using those file system image, I got error
messages:

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

An example of Xen configure is:

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-2936.fc7xen"
memory = 256
name = "fedora.fc6"
vif = [ '' ]
dhcp = "dhcp"
disk = ['file:/xen/fedora/fedora.fc6.img,sda1,w', 'file:/xen/fedora/fedora.swap,
sda2,w']
root = "/dev/sda1 ro"

Having been googling on this topic for a while, but still not getting the right
answer for it. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Haifeng