[Fedora-xen] VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0, 0)

Eduardo Habkost ehabkost at redhat.com
Thu Oct 11 20:48:25 UTC 2007

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 10:43:22AM -0700, Haifeng He wrote:
> Hi, All
>
> I followed the steps in Fedora7VirtQuickStart to install Xen on Fedora 7.
> I downloaded couples of file system image from http://jailtime.org/. However,
> every time I tried to create guest OS using those file system image, I got error
> messages:
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
>
> An example of Xen configure is:
>
> kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-2936.fc7xen"

You don't have a initrd image that contains the block device and
filesystem modules.

I expect the images you have downloaded have a valid grub configuration
inside it. If they have it, you can use:

bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"

Instead of specifying a kernel that is outside the disk image. Pygrub
will be able to read grub configuration and kernel/initrd images from
inside the disk image.

--
Eduardo