[Fedora-xen] VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0, 0)

Haifeng He hehaifeng2nd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 17:06:43 UTC 2007

On 10/11/07, Eduardo Habkost <ehabkost at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 10:43:22AM -0700, Haifeng He wrote:
> > Hi, All
> >
> > I followed the steps in Fedora7VirtQuickStart to install Xen on Fedora 7.
> > I downloaded couples of file system image from http://jailtime.org/. However,
> > every time I tried to create guest OS using those file system image, I got error
> > messages:
> >
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0)
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
> >
> > An example of Xen configure is:
> >
> > kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-2936.fc7xen"
>
> You don't have a initrd image that contains the block device and
> filesystem modules.
>
> I expect the images you have downloaded have a valid grub configuration
> inside it. If they have it, you can use:
>
> bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
>
> Instead of specifying a kernel that is outside the disk image. Pygrub
> will be able to read grub configuration and kernel/initrd images from
> inside the disk image.

Thank you for your reply. I tried to include bootloader = "/usr/bin/pygrub"
in my configuration but I got an error message "Error: Boot loader
didn't return any data!".
I was able to boot the same image on a Ubuntu system with Xen
installed from source.
Do I need to do something special on Fedora-Xen? Or there is a way that I
can add block device and filesystem modules into the initrd image?

Thanks
Haifeng