[Fedora-xen] problems with f9 guest on f8 dom0

Dale Bewley dlbewley at lib.ucdavis.edu
Fri Jun 27 16:30:03 UTC 2008

----- "Matt Cowan" <cowan at bnl.gov> wrote:
> dom0?!
> > I have installed F9 domU on F8 dom0. Haven't done anything but login
> > it yet.
>
> does virt-manager still work?
> can you virt-install another domU?
> how about after you shutdown the f9 domU?
>
> -matt

I installed a new f9 domU with virt-isntall and from within the domU I issued a 'shutdown -h now'. Virt-manager still shows it as running, but 'virsh list --all' shows it as 'no state'. Virsh console can't find it.

 # virsh console f9test
 libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed:
 libvir: Xen Daemon error : failed Xen syscall xenDaemonDomainDumpXMLByID failed to find this domain 0

I right clicked in virt-manager and selected shutdown. Nothing happend.

 # virsh shutdown f9test
 libvir: Xen Daemon error : POST operation failed: (xend.err 'Domain cannot be shutdown')
 Domain f9test is being shutdown

 # virsh destroy f9test
 libvir: Xen Daemon error : POST operation failed: (xend.err "(3, 'No such process')")
 libvir: Xen error : failed Xen syscall  ioctl  3166208
 error: Failed to destroy domain f9test

So, I started another pre-existing f9 domU in the virt-manager gui. Came up OK. Shut it down via the virt-manager gui and it behaves the same as the other test. Says 'running' in virt-manager and virsh says:

 # virsh console fedora95
 libvir: Xen Daemon error : GET operation failed:
 libvir: Xen Daemon error : failed Xen syscall xenDaemonDomainDumpXMLByID failed to find this domain 0

So, I restarted xend and now virt-manager shows the correct states and virsh
list shows 'shut off' state. I'm on libvirt-0.4.2-1.fc8 and see there is an
update. I'll test some more later and also try to confirm this is different
from f8 domU behavior.

--
Dale Bewley - Unix Administrator - Shields Library - UC Davis
GPG: 0xB098A0F3 0D5A 9AEB 43F4 F84C 7EFD  1753 064D 2583 B098 A0F3