[Fedora-xen] Updating out-of-date Fedora XenPvopsDom0 wiki page

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Nov 26 09:57:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 11:48 +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 09:34:17AM +0000, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 	Thanks for poking at this - I've updated the page to remove any
> > tracking of the in-progress kernel support, since it's all better
> > tracked elsewhere now.
> >

> Ok.
>
> Although "i386 Dom0", "x86_64 Dom0" and "Scope" sections still need heavy
> editing..

I removed them - maybe you missed my updates?

> Also, it might be a good idea to mention about this temporary Linux 2.6.27
> Xenlinux repository with dom0 support included (with a patch from Suse):
>
> http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/linux-2.6.27-xen.hg
>
> That 2.6.27 kernel is NOT based on pv_ops, but to a forward-port from 2.6.18
> Xenlinux kernel. It is just a temporary tree until pv_ops dom0 is ready.
>
> Announcement about that temporary 2.6.27 Xenlinux tree:
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-11/msg00600.html

It's not really relevant to Fedora - we're not going back to the bad old
days of having a separate Xen kernel. We made the call in Fedora 9 to no
longer waste effort on any forwarded ported 2.6.18 tree and focus all
efforts on upstream pv_ops, since that's where the future lies.

Personally, I'm disappointed to see this linux-2.6.27-xen.hg tree
appear. Any effort invested in this tree is effort that could be spent
on helping with the upstream pv_ops work.

> > 	My advice to anyone wanting to help this along is to build and test
> > Jeremy's work and iron out any issues with Fedora's xen userland running
> > on it.
> >

> Yes, that would be a good idea.
>
> Does someone want to build some testing RPMs? :)

A volunteer to do this would be very welcome indeed :-)

Cheers,
Mark.