[Fedora-xen] Using virt-manager for managing KVM VMs running on CentOS 5

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Aug 13 08:35:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:28:25AM -0400, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Can I use virt-manager from a Fedora 11 box to manage KVM VMs running on
> a CentOS 5.3 host?  The CentOS 5.3 machine is running KVM and related
> RPMs from a third party repo
> (http://www.lfarkas.org/linux/packages/centos/5/x86_64/virt/RPMS/) .
>
> I'm using TLS for the encryption.  I followed the TLS guide on the
> libvirt.org website to create and install all the necessary certs and
> keys.  I have libvirtd listening on the CentOS 5 box.  When I try to
> connect to libvirtd with virt-manager from my Fedora 11 desktop, I see
> the following error on the server:
>
> error : qemudClientReadBuf:1554 : gnutls_record_recv: A TLS packet with
> unexpected length was received.

This is a sign of a authentication problem - you'll typically see that
error when the server rejects the client's certificates, or if there is
a cert prblem in genreal.

> So, that has me wondering if I can even connect to libvirtd on the
> CentOS 5 box from Fedora 11 in the first place.

Yes, libvirt is ABI stable for its wire protocol across all releases.
You will, however, be restricted to the functionality available in the
libvirt version you have.

Daniel