[Fedora-xen] Using virt-manager for managing KVM VMs running on CentOS 5

m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Thu Aug 13 14:47:42 UTC 2009

I hope this doesn't break the thread. I'm sending this email from a client
that doesn't understand threading/mail lists.

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 09:35:06 +0100, "Daniel P. Berrange"
<berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> This is a sign of a authentication problem - you'll typically see that
> error when the server rejects the client's certificates, or if there is
> a cert prblem in genreal.

I followed the instructions on the libvirt.org site
(http://libvirt.org/remote.html) to the letter.  I've even used the
pki_check.sh script to check the certs/keys - no problems.  So, I'm not
sure where to turn next.  I'm not saying there isn't a problem with my
generated certs. It's just that since I don't have any experience with
managing KVM hosts remotely, I've just followed the instructions blindly.
Unfortunately, it be not worky! :p

>> So, that has me wondering if I can even connect to libvirtd on the
>> CentOS 5 box from Fedora 11 in the first place.
>
> Yes, libvirt is ABI stable for its wire protocol across all releases.
> You will, however, be restricted to the functionality available in the
> libvirt version you have.

Great, that's what I want to hear!  So, can I create a VM on the remote KVM
host by installing from an ISO image?  I've tried, but virt-manager
complains it can't find the ISO.  I've been specifying the ISO location on
the remote box.

Regards,

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu