[feedhenry-dev] Demostration video of Openshift SAR, Grafana and Prometheus in OpenShift

David Martin davmarti at redhat.com
Mon Dec 11 16:47:21 UTC 2017

Nice video Phil!

For anyone wondering about how the proxy stuff works,
we're using this application here https://github.com/openshift/oauth-proxy
It can sit in front of anything as a reverse proxy, providing
authentication (& authorisation  via a Subject Access Review request to
openshift).

It wasn't shown in this video, but the Prometheus Dashboard can also be
accessed via an oauth proxy.
Prometheus doesn't provide any auth at all, so the proxy provides a very
useful service on a publicly exposed route.

One other thing that wasn't shown in this video, but was alluded to (and
mentioned in a separate video. See
https://www.redhat.com/archives/feedhenry-dev/2017-November/msg00023.html)
was the service discovery mechanism prometheus used.
The fh-sync-server has a particular annotation, which proemthues looks for.
It then starts gathering metrics from the /metrics endpoint in
fh-sync-server.

WRT Grafana, although 2 default dashboards were included with it
(Promtetheus & fh-sync-server), the user is free to add their own
dashboards or tweak the existing ones.

On 11 December 2017 at 16:29, Phil Brookes <pbrookes at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hey Everyone,
>
> I have put together a video demonstrating the latest developments in
> metrics for 5.x using Grafana to render the metrics stored in Prometheus.
> Dave Martin and I have been working on this over the course of the last
> week.
>
> This video also demonstrates the OpenShift Subject Access Review rules
> that can be used to restrict / allow access to services.
>
> Prometheus is also using service discovery in this demo to find the
> services it can scrape metrics for.
>
> https://youtu.be/-37OPXXhrTw
>
> Any questions or comments, please let me know.
>
> Regards,
> Phil.

David Martin
Red Hat Mobile