[feedhenry-dev] MCP Android Plugin Demo

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Tue Oct 3 18:53:18 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 1:00 PM, David Martin <davmarti at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hey Summers,
>
> Nice video.
> I like the idea of doing the config validation at build time.
> I think its important that an App can launch to some usable state, even if
> offline (for the first or subsequent launches).
>
> I'd like to know your thoughts on if there's value in having the config
> endpoint in the mcp server?

Why even bother with calling the endpoint if you could just take the config
> from that response and use that in your App?

(e.g. show the full config for all services in the MCP UI)

Well there is value and I think we need A/B or Blue/Green style features to
be competitive with other options, and having the download config pattern
is one way to implement it.  We also have to support many options on many
platforms and it is a least common denominator implementation even if there
are technical limitations we get to overcome.  (Firebase sells a similar
service called remote config). For some use cases this could be a core
feature; configuration dashboard apps come to mind. From a support POV
there are also options for enabling things like remote debugging, logging,
etc. In development situations this will let us cut down on the turnaround
time for testing service integrations which is beneficial during a app's
early days. Eventually the dev scenario will need an easy way to "switch"
to a static configuration for most apps.

If we have as a use case changing the server configuration at runtime then
we need to think out the feature as a whole once we get past the MVP.